Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: My Top Ten Most Intimidating Books


Top 10 Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic is the Top Ten Most Intimidating Books.


Books usually don't intimidate me, but I was quite nervous to pick these up. The cool thing, though? Once I did start to read them, I liked them! So don't be scared by the reviews or size or content. Try it. If you don't like it, you can find something else.

 

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A classic so many people love. What if I’m not all that enchanted by it?

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Again, an intimidating classic.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
A beautiful tale, but what if it is just too much fantasy for me to handle?

Redwall by Brian Jacques
My husband’s favorite book. What if I don’t like it? Will my husband think I am a bad person?

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
I think the title says it all… great expectations for a book loved by many so what if it doesn’t live up to MY expectations?
 

Animal Farm by George Orwell
This book has so many metaphors and analogies so what if I don’t understand what I am supposed understand? (Luckily I read this as I was teaching a unit on the Cold War so I was able to put it all together and help my students do the same.)

Twilight by Stephenie Meyers
A big book that soooooooo many people like. Will my students hate me if I don't like it?

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Epic book made into an epic movie (at least for its time) but what if I don’t understand all the military stuff?

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway 
Hemingway is a legend in the literary world so to read a book he wrote with so much heart & angst is overwhelming.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
 I feel like this is at the top of literary achievement and that is scary. This is the one book on this list that I haven’t even attempted to pick up because it is so intimidating. Ahhhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment