The Immortal Rules
By Julie Kagawa
Published by HarlequinTEEN, April 2012
485 pages (hardcover)
MY VAMPIRE CREATOR TOLD ME THIS:
"Sometime in your life, Allison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. The question is not if it will happen, but when. Do you understand?"
I didn't then, not really.
I DO NOW.
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die…or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for. (from NetGalley)
1) I LOVE Julie Kagawa’s writing. Her Iron Fey series got me through some sleepless nights last summer (darn you amoxicillin!) and I was definitely hoping this new series would be good.
2) I am not a fan of vampire books. The whole “help me because I am a damsel in distress and I love vampires” thing annoys me.
3) This is not one of those vampire books that annoy me.
4) Allison is a strong-willed survivor who has a huge heart (well, not really since she is dead, but hopefully you get my point) and is torn about what she is/wants to be.
5) Rabids now give me nightmares.
6) Lots of adventure and breath-taking moments, but there might have been just a tad too much fighting for my taste.
7) Read. This. Book. NOW!