Thursday, October 11, 2012

STUDENT & TEACHER REVIEW- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie
By Kate DiCamillo
Published by Candlewick Press, 2009
288 pages (paperback)

One summer day, Opal goes into a supermarket and comes out with a scraggly dog that she names Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, her preacher father finally tells her ten things about her absentee mother, and Opal makes lots of unusual friends in her quirky Florida town. And because of Winn-Dixie, Opal grows to learn that friendship — and forgiveness — can sneak up on you like a sudden storm. (from barnesandnoble.com)


I enjoyed this book because it is funny and heartwarming. Opal grew in this book and it was great to go along on her journey. I think this book is great and I wouldn’t improve any part of it. Yes, I recommend this book to any middle schooler to read. It is an enjoyable book and an easy read.
--Ms. Thomas

It was funny and sad at the same time. I would have had Opal’s mother come back and then Opal could have told her stories. Yes, [this is a good book for middle schoolers] because middle schoolers would want to take care of a dog just like Winn-Dixie.
--John G.

The part I liked was when she found the dog. I like that part because the dog is like my puppy. I wished she could have told more about her mother. Yes, [I would recommend this book to another middle schooler] because it is a fantastic book.
--Patrick B.

It is good that Opal found Winn-Dixie because if she wouldn’t have found him he would have gone to the pound. I think that Opal’s Mom should have come back because Opal would be happy. Yes, [I would recommend this book to another middle schooler because] it is a good book.
--Rylee D.

[I liked] that some kids can relate to the story and it can help them with what they are going through. I wish that Opal’s mom would have come back. Yes, [I would recommend this book to another middle schooler] because it is very good and it is a mystery so if you like mysteries this would be a good book for you.
--Hannah H.

It is funny and sad [but] her mom could have come back to her family.
--Jesus M.

What I liked about this book is that it was interesting. Like how the dog smiled with all his teeth. It is funny when Opal calls the boys bald-headed bablies. That’s why I think it’s good.
I think the end could be redone so the Mom can come back so Opal can see her.
I think [middle schoolers] should read this because I think it is funny and interesting to go on her adventures with Winn-Dixie.
--Jada B.

No comments:

Post a Comment