Monday, February 25, 2013

Kristy's Great Idea By Raina Telgemeier... based on the book by Ann M. Martin

Kristy's Great Idea (BSC Graphix Series #1)
By Raina Telgemeier, (based on the book by Ann M. Martin)
Published by Scholastic, Inc, 2006
192 pages (paperback)

Based on Ann M. Martin's bestselling series, America's favorite baby-sitters are back -- this time, in a heart-warming and hilarious graphic novel.
In this new graphic novel edition of the very first BABY-SITTERS CLUB book, Raina Telgemeier captures all the drama of the original in warm, spunky illustrations. Witness Kristy's eureka moment, when she gets the idea for a "baby-sitters club" and enlists her best friends, shy Mary Anne and artistic Claudia, in an exciting new venture. But the baby-sitting business isn't the only thing absorbing their attention: Kristy is having a hard time accepting her stepdad-to-be, and the newest member of the gang, Stacey, seems to be hiding a secret. (from barnesandnoble.com)


Oh, BSC, how I loved you growing up.

Seriously, I spent hours (even days) in the world of Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia (my niece is named after this BSC character!), Stacey, etc. They came up with a creative business and then dealt with the antics of kids, classmates, family members, and each other. It was because of them that my main job in high school was babysitting and that in college I still enjoyed hanging out with kiddos while their parents were gone (and getting paid for it… and eating yummy food).

At first I was hesitant to read the BSC graphic novel. I mean, Raina Telgemeier's drawings aren’t quite how I pictured some of the characters and she obviously had to leave out some details, but it was fun to see the action played out. Plus, she added in a few scenarios to help readers understand the overall story so, for me, it was a new twist on books I knew and loved.

For those who loved the regular BSC novels and for those to enjoy (or have to endure) babysitting, these are great books to pick up. I just wish there were more…..

No comments:

Post a Comment