Tuesday, May 14, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: The Top Ten Books on Tough Subjects

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic is the Top Ten Books on Tough Subjects.
 


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Tough Topics: Rape, Rumors, Abuse)
I wish every 8th grader would read this before heading off to high school.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Tough Topics: Suicide, Rape, Bullying)
This is the other book I wish all teens would read. I was speechless while reading this book… I couldn’t put it down, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read more because it was all too plausible.

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Tough Topics: Suicide, Death of Family Member)
I think this was the first book I read by John Green. He does a great job of mixing humor and despair to create a relatable and interesting novel.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Tough Topics: Cancer, Death)
Ditto what I said about Looking for Alaska.

A Child Called “It”: One Child’s Courage to Survive by David Pelzer (Tough Topics: Abuse, Foster Families, Poverty)
One of the most heart-wrenching books I have read. The sad thing is that it is true and this type of thing still happens all over America even now.

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher (Tough Topics: Rape, Abuse, Bullying)Disturbingly sad, but it will make you think about the things people around you are going through.

Anything by Lurlene McDaniel (Tough Topics: Cancer, Death, Family Issues, etc.)
She is the queen of books on tough subjects that make you want to cry.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Tough Topics: Bullying, Suicide, Death, Underage Drinking)Such an interesting concept for a book. What might you do differently if you knew how much your actions affected others?

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (Tough Topics: Abuse, Poverty, Dysfunctional Families, Rape)
I read this for a class and was appalled by how horrible the parents were and what the children had to deal with. Again, this was tough to read because it is a true story and many kids face these challenges daily.

The Lottery Rose by Irene Hunt (Tough Topics: Abuse. Foster Families, Poverty)
This is a book I read in my 7th grade ELA class. I don’t remember a lot of the books I read in class as a kid, but this one stuck with me. I was always encouraged by the perseverance the boy showed and the kindness of strangers to help him succeed.

Bonus Book! The Pregnancy Project by Gaby Rodriguez (Tough Topics: Teen Pregnancy, Rumors, Prejudice)I read about this book in a magazine and immediately had to get it. Gaby created her own tough topic and made others face up to their reactions of it. She is an amazing and courageous young lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment