Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent  (Divergent Series #2)
By Veronica Roth
Published by HarperCollins, 2012
525 pages (hardcover)

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so. (from barnesandnoble.com)


I picked up Divergent at the beginning of this school and absolutely loved it. The concept of factions by character traits was fresh and thoughtful and the story was intriguing. Obviously I anxiously anticipated the release of the 2nd book in the trilogy: Insurgent. I was so excited to read this that I got it and read it on the release date. Yeah, I am that dedicated to amazing books.

Veronica Roth keeps on with the awesomeness in Insurgent. I don’t want to give away too much, but below are thoughts that kept running through my head while reading it:

  • Secrets, secrets are no fun. Secrets, secrets hurt someone.
  • I think I would like the Amity (the peaceful) faction best. There is no fighting, you get to spend a lot of time outside, and there is a really cool tree that you all meet around.
  • Seriously… why don’t Tris & Tobias/Four just tell each other everything/the truth since they apparently love each other so much. If they want to have a good relationship they need to be honest with each other or it won’t work.
  • Huh? That’s weird.
  • This is going to end badly
  • It’s interesting to learn about the other factions. The Amity (the peaceful) seem nice but Candor (the honest) is kind of grumpy.
  • Arg! Everyone keeps switching sides. I don’t know who to trust [since you know I am totally there with all the characters and not just sitting on my couch reading and eating chips].
  • Actually, some of the Candor are simply jerks.
  • Ugh! Why won’t Tris just sit on her butt or take a nap instead of running off and getting herself caught in situations?
  • Someone needs to smack Marcus upside the head.
  • Never-mind.
  • Uriah is adorable!
  • Yep. I would totally pick Amity. They seem the opposite of chaos AND they wear red & yellow. I have some lovely red and yellow shoes that would look great with their outfits.
  • No, Tris. No, no, no, no, NO!
  • Yeah, I totally saw that coming.
  • That’s a weird alliance, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do (especially when you are Divergent).
  • Uh oh.
  • Huh?
  • This is getting kind of weird.
  • No! That can’t happen. This book is making me mad!
  • Wha…… What? I had understood everything that was happening but now I am kind of completely confused. Is this society and where they live what I think it is? Really? And now there are no more pages. Crap. Do I really have to wait for like another year to read the end of this trilogy? That’s not cool. Books in a series should all come out at the same time so I don’t have to wait to find out about these characters I love so much. I mean, everything needs to be fine so Tris & Tobias can marry, have cute babies, and grow old together. I hope Veronica Roth puts that at the end of the next book.
  • Blah. I have to get up in like 5 hours. I’m sooooooo going to have dreams about this book.

So, there you have it. Definitely read Insurgent. It's great. It's memorable (I really did have dreams involving the characters). It's a well-written novel that will take you away to another world where you will love and hate the characters and situations right along side the actual characters. And now the countdown starts until the next book is relseased.......

No comments:

Post a Comment