Thursday, May 10, 2012

STUDENT REVIEW - Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key
By Jack Gantos
Published by Square Fish, 2011
176 pages (paperback)

"They say I'm wired bad, or wired sad, but there's no doubt about it - I'm wired."
Joey Pigza's got heart, he's got a mom who loves him, and he's got "dud meds," which is what he calls the Ritalin pills that are supposed to even out his wild mood swings. Sometimes Joey makes bad choices. He learns the hard way that he shouldn't stick his finger in the pencil sharpener, or swallow his house key, or run with scissors. Joey ends up bouncing around a lot - and eventually he bounces himself all the way downtown, into the district special-ed program, which could be the end of the line. As Joey knows, if he keeps making bad choices, he could just fall between the cracks for good. But he is determined not to let that happen.
In this antic yet poignant new novel, Jack Gantos has perfect pitch in capturing the humor, the off-the-wall intensity, and the serious challenges that life presents to a kid dealing with hyperactivity and related disorders.
To the constant disappointment of his mother and his teachers, Joey has trouble paying attention or controlling his mood swings when his prescription medications wear off and he starts getting worked up and acting wired.


I recommend this book because it is funny and emotional and a great book. I love how this book is emotional and educational because this book is like what I’m going through as a middle schooler. It’s like reality and I think that’s what’s really cool about Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key. This book is perfect the way it is, but I think the book should show more surprises like what someone wouldn’t see coming.
---Reviewed by Jewelry

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because it is a really good book to read. It puts new things in constantly and keeps excitement in the book. It could have probably described Joey’s past a bit more so the reader isn’t hanging.
---Reviewed by Micah

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because he is in middle school. It’s funny and exciting and sad. It is good because it shows you how kids with ADHD act and why.
---Reviewed by Carlos

Yes. [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because it is funny and he has ADHD and anybody who has it can relate. Everything was good about this book.
---Reviewed by Carlee

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because I think they would enjoy it. Joey was good because he was funny. [This book could be improved by] making Joey seem better because they made him seem like a bad guy.
---Reviewed by Ceigan

I would [recommend this book to a middle schooler] because it teaches you that you “need to play the hand you are dealt with”. I like this book because it is humorous, appropriate for children, and interesting. Another reason I really like this book is that it has a very important theme. In this book the detail could be improved because {deleted comment due to spoilers} it explained too much!
---Reviewed by Gabe

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler]. It teaches a lesson like you have to fight to reach your goals. It was funny when Joey swallowed the key. Also, I liked how funny it was and how lots of people care about him. There could have been less bad things. Also, the family could have been nicer to him.
---Reviewed by Kyra

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because the book is sooooooooooooooooo funny!!!! [This book is good because] his grandma wanted to give him a timeout in the fridge. There is nothing to improve.
---Reviewed by Paul

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because some middle school kids have problems. [I liked] everything because it was like about a boy with problems and there are a lot of people in schools with ADHD problems. [I would change] nothing. The book was amusing.
---Reviewed by Autumn

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler because] it shows what can happen to someone. It was funny and also surprising and it’s nasty. Well only a little bit. Also it’s short.
---Reviewed by Laisha

I would [recommend this book] because it teaches about ADHD and is very funny. What’s good about this book is how Joey learns through his actions and it’s funny how Joey is so hyper. [I would improve] just the part where Joey’s bad decision {deleted comment due to spoilers} [leads to a scene with blood] and I just don’t really like blood.
---Reviewed by Austin

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because it is a good book. Joey was good because he has ADHD like some people I know. The length could have been improved because I like long books.
---Reviewed by Colin

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because if you know someone with ADHD you can show them this book. This book was good because it was exciting. You get to know some of the life experiences of a person with ADHD. It could have been improved by sticking with the title because they only had two chapters about him swallowing the key.
---Reviewed by Justice

Yes, [I would recommend this book to a middle schooler] because it’s really funny and I enjoyed it. It was a little boring sometimes, but it’s funny and fun to read and enjoy.
---Reviewed by Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment