Tuesday, November 20, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY: The Top Ten Authors I'm Most Thankful For

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic is the Top Ten Authors I'm Most Thankful For.

Ann M. Martin
The first chapter book I ever read was Karen’s Kitty-Cat Club by Ann M. Martin. And then I read a LOT more of her books. I think I partially owe my love of reading/ability to read quickly to this author. Thanks.
Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games has made my job as librarian a lot easier... You want a science fiction book? Go get The Hunger Games. You want an awesome female character? Go get The Hunger Games. You want adventure? Go get The Hunger Games. You want excitement & romance? Go get The Hunger Games. You want some tough guys and fighting? Go get The Hunger Games. You are a reluctant reader who rarely finds books you like? Go get The Hunger Games. You want to read the most popular thing so you know what your friends are talking about? Go get The Hunger Games. Seriously, go get The Hunger Games. You can thank me later.
Brian Jacques
My husband grew up reading Brian Jacques and I am thankful that the Redwall crew helped make him an awesome reader. And the books really are good.
J.R.R. Tolkien
I am thankful that New Zealand seems to look like the world Tolkien describes in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The books are wonderful and I love to see them acted out on the big screen with NZ as the backdrop.
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Laura taught me about prairie life, travel, family, and working hard to get what you need. I am thankful I don’t live in the 1800s during winter, but I am also thankful I got to read her books (and watch the TV show!).
Jane AustenI am thankful for all her wonderful books that have just the right amount of romance & conflict. And, of course, I am extremely thankful for Elizabeth Bennett & Fitzwilliam Darcy.
Madeline L’EngleMadeline L’Engle’s books are amazing. They are so thoughtful, intriguing, and exciting. I am so thankful for her books that make me think while I read.
John GreenWhen I need a laugh or some sarcasm, I am thankful I can pick up a book by John Green. 
Laurie Halse AndersonI am so thankful she has written what she has written. Some books are on tough topics that teens face and her Seeds of America series captivated adults and students at our school. Her books make you “feel” and really care about the characters while providing an amazing story.
R.L. StineAlthough it is rare to see me reading scary stories nowadays, when I was younger I pretty much devoured books by R.L. Stine (that was definitely the cool thing to do). I am thankful that he is still writing and making books that young people want to read.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting list! I'm only familiar with Suzanne Colline & Jane Austen, so I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I also loved Stine's book in my early teens, and I'm greatful for Anderson's Wintergirls.
    Haha and I love your comment on The Hunger Games XD
    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ReplyDelete