Monday, April 15, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Phantom Tollbooth
By Norton Juster
Published by Random House Children's Books, 1988
272 pages (hardcover)

This ingenious fantasy centers around Milo, a bored ten-year-old who comes home to find a large toy tollbooth sitting in his room. Joining forces with a watchdog named Tock, Milo drives through the tollbooth's gates and begins a memorable journey. He meets such characters as the foolish, yet lovable Humbug, the Mathemagician, and the not-so-wicked "Which," Faintly Macabre, who gives Milo the "impossible" mission of returning two princesses to the Kingdom of Wisdom. (from barnesandnoble.com)


Do you know what a dodecahedron is? I didn’t until I read this book when I was a kid (and if you want to know… you can read the book too!).

The Phantom Tollbooth is a classic, but it is an intelligent classic. This book is uses all sorts of odd math and English info to create memorable characters and situations. Honestly, I am excited to read this book to my son one day because I know he will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment